• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 11 months ago by french.painter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 full)

  • Author

    Posts

  • #993970

    I don't know whether the old, stale-up pigment is very old watercolor, or acrylic. (or both?) The plastic palette has been soaking is soap and hot water all afternoon, and the paint is notwithstanding hard every bit ever– I tin can't even scrape it off with my fingernail.
    What is the magic answer! All help is appreciated! :)

    #1249425

    doesn't sound like watercolor
    jackhammer?

    #1249419

    Well, is in that location anything in between tears and a jackhammer?

    #1249429

    It tin can exist very difficult. Happened to my plastic palette. I gave upward and stopped using it.
    Now I utilise wax paper from the supermarket. You lot can utilize double sided tape to concord it in place. When you lot're washed, just throw abroad the leftover paint and paper.

    #1249414

    Denatured Alcohol will shift it.

    #1249426

    oh yeah, soak in rubbing booze

    pics?

    #1249415

    I precoat my acrylic plastic palettes with polymer medium and let it dry out and cure. After doing that, acrylic paint will adhere to the dried medium. Non only will it all pare off cleanly in the terminate, but you won't become chunks of stale paint separating off the plastic palette and catastrophe upward in your mixes! I know it doesn't assistance where you're at now, only if the alcohol fox works and you can get the palette clean, it's a cure for the future.

    Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
    [/url]
    One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

    #1249421

    I took both of my palettes to a Glass Shop and had them cutting a glass the exact size of the palette interior….piece of cake clean upwardly. I likewise use newspaper towels on top of the drinking glass to put the paint on. They are wet and hold the pigment in place.

    [FONT=Lucida Calligraphy] Let your smile reach your eyes, keep your words e'er kind, and remember......love opens all doors.[/Color][/Colour][/SIZE][/B]

    #1249423

    I'd go a new palette, the plastic ones are 1€… More time, money and endeavour in cleaning it…

    Federico Garcia
    My Blog
    C&C ever welcome :D

    "...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they but pat your back." - Tiago

    #1249427

    are we talking the white palette with the little dip wells and mixing squares?
    yous might look into other palette options

    #1249424

    I use a large hat from a tupperware box. Any the type of plastic its made from the acrylic paint merely washes off or if dry peels off very hands. The plastic is the is the bendy type that does non shatter hands. The underside of the hat is shiny and polish. Promise that helps.

    #1249417

    There's a skilful Tips thread in the Information Kiosk (link in my signature) which includes tips on palettes.
    One was to laminate a sheet of paper and use that. IT WORKS!! This is all I mix on now … it cleans off with either a knife or spray of water … lasts for ages, 2 useable sides and cheap to replace when needed.
    I apply 2 sheets of A5 printer paper in a laminate A4 pouch ( alphabetic character size in Usa, halved?) put through the laminator ….. helps to have one!:)
    The A5 size fits nicely in my Staywet palette and also in my home-made 1 likewise.

    Cheers, Maureen


    Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Unlike Strokes in Acrylics forum .

    #1249416

    One was to laminate a sheet of paper and utilise that. It WORKS!! This is all I mix on now … it cleans off with either a knife or spray of h2o … lasts for ages, 2 useable sides and cheap to supervene upon when needed.

    Genius proffer! This would be fabulous for a lightweight plein air palette, and I tin can brand them custom sizes to fit my pochade boxes. I'm going to do this today! Thank you, Maureen.

    Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
    Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Fine art Materials
    [/url]
    Ane year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

    #1249422

    I utilise "Orange Smash", or whatever orange citrus cleaner. Spray on and wait, and so use a paint scraper…..should come right off.

    #1249418

    But to give you an idea of how information technology works –

    A muddy mixer palette left from last month – (I know, shocking!)

    Scraped with palette knife – be careful here – in my blitz to practice this just now I was also heavy handed!

    Sprayed with water, a couple mins later information technology can be scraped again or only wiped with paper towel –

    .. and here it sits in the staywet tray ……. the little milk-top lids I frequently utilise for squeezed-out paint … a lite spray before closing keeps them workable.
    I usually do clean off the pigment mixed and used before closing.:)

    This palette is old – hence the paint I tin can't get off the wells!
    The laminate sheet here has been used for quite a few paintings so needs to be re-newed, merely I hope information technology explains the method.

    The idea isn't mine, information technology's from a fellow member, Autoslip

    Thanks, Maureen


    Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Unlike Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing fifteen posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

  • The topic 'Desperate; I can't clean dried paint off my plastic palette' is closed to new replies.